Saturday, April 9, 2016

Conviction by Kelly Loy Gilbert

ConvictionConviction by Kelly Loy Gilbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book for 2 reasons - first as part of the Hub Reading Challenge and Morris Award and second as part of the #yearofya April mystery month - this book I listened to is recommended for lovers of Harlan Coben's psychological thrillers. And boy do I agree! The narration by Michael Crouch was oh so awesome! I could not stop listening as teen Braden tells of his life with his father who is a powerful (and very flawed) religious speaker and his passion for baseball and God. He also tugs at your heart when he describes how his brother Trey (also flawed but due to father calling him "a bad person" his whole life) abandons him and he yearns for his companionship over the years. There is an accident and Braden's dad is arrested for killing a policeman with his car and Braden is key to his father's defense. When Trey comes home as his guardian, there is so much anguish in that house; I hoped for redemption for Trey and Braden. But Gilbert's debut is an awesome, anguishing look at the secrets and perverseness of religion and families/fathers. Loved this book but ached for Braden, such a sympathetic character.

View all my reviews

No comments: