Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Major Pettigrew's Last StandMajor Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My mother gave this book to me and my reader friend Ruth recommended it years ago. I loved seeing Major Pettigrew grow, become bold, become forthright and fall in love with Mrs. Ali. The English village was beautiful but very tough on who and what they considered outsiders. There was humor, sadness, grief and so much more to enjoy in this book about older characters who change, grab at life, and turn their backs on tradition. Readers will enjoy the Major, Mrs. Ali, Grace, Alice, George, Amina, Sandy, and the Vicar and be chagrined with The Major's son, neighbors, Abdul and lots of others. It was a tug of war to see who could win the war of religion, race, and real estate, and I am so glad I was surprised by this book!

View all my reviews

No comments: