Thursday, August 3, 2017

Dicey's Song (Tillerman Family #2) by Cynthia Voigt

Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2)Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh boy, what a wonderful, tough read- I read this wonderful 1982 Newbery Award winner as part of August #yearofya 1980s & 19190s books (written in or about). Dicey has toughly survived bringing her brothers to her grandmother's house after her mother has disappeared and left them alone. Voigt's characters from Dicey to her grandmother and her family (Maybeth, Sam and James) and her friends (Jeff & Mina & teachers) were real, powerful, and people I loved knowing as I read this book. Dicey and her Grandmother are tough nuts; they are harsh in their responses to others, have a difficult time expressing themselves but fierce in their care and protection of family and friends. I liked the mention of Sears Roebuck as a store and James' mention of dyslexia as he tried to help his sister Maybeth be successful in school. This is a searingly honest look at family, both the resilience and fragility, and the lengths these characters will go to to keep each other safe, happy. and loved.

View all my reviews

No comments: