Saturday, August 26, 2017

Girl (Girl #1) by Blake Nelson

GirlGirl by Blake Nelson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book as part of the #yearofya August twitter chat to read books from the 1980s and 1990s (written during that time or SET in that time period) for the 8/30 chat at 8pm EST, please join us! Blake Nelson's book (taking place in the 90s) chronicles sophomore Andrea Marr for her last 3 years of high school. She is a teen so many will understand with her insecurities, love of music, bands, and thrift store clothes. Blake's writing was a little unnerving for me (run on sentences about all she thinks, sees, believes, etc.) but I understood that the reader was in Andrea's head as she saw and thought all things in her life, her high school days, and her night life. She experiments with sex, smoking, stays out late, and lies to her parents. I liked Andrea's growth, her dark side (Brad at camp seemed the most real relationship she has in the book), her insecurity (but she never does ecstasy), her friendships (and her friends like Cybil, Amy, Nathan, Todd) and her life as she grows, learns, and struggles toward finishing high school and going to college. I definitely want to read the other 2 Girl books, I love Blake Nelson. I read his latest book, Boy, FIRST and really liked that---writing style was different and I really related (I did not relate to Andrea- I felt like I was just an observer) to Gavin Meeks! So much so, I have already downloaded the next book in the series about Marisol. I guess I wish I had read Girl 1st, then Boy, oh well. Still love all the Blake Nelson books, my teens in the library did too!

View all my reviews frien

No comments: