Sunday, September 17, 2017

Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just like the Wrath and the Dawn, I LOVED Mariko, the magic, The Black Clan, her brother, Kenshin, all of it! I could not stop reading, I was grabbed from the first page- feudal Japan, a power hungry Emperor who kills all his friends, and all that follows...it was lush- the writing, the world, the characters. Mariko is a spirited heroine (may be one of my faves!) dislikes being a girl who must be married off, questions everything, doesn't care that she is seen as odd, and wants to find out why the Black Clan hijacked her caravan as she rode to her betrothed. I liked the way her mind worked, especially impersonating a boy, trying to bluster while trying to gain information. Oh the lies, secrecy, and mystery were palpable, I could not stop turning the pages! I enjoyed the mythology, magic, vanishing wolves and foxes, especially Mariko's belief in living life according to the 7 Tenets of Bushido, The Way of the Warrior. I can't wait for the 2nd book but I will continue to go over and over the wonderful characters, the gorgeous setting, and the many adventures of Mariko and Okami and Ranmaru. And that is the sign of a great book, when you continue to revel in the twists and turns!

View all my reviews

No comments: