Monday, April 2, 2018

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

A Gentleman in MoscowA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh did I love the narration of this beautiful, historical fiction novel taking place in Russian in the 1900's by Nicholas Guy Smith. His pitch and tenor were perfect, I am really missing his humorous voice, his polished voice, his waiter voice---so so much enjoyment from this audiobook! Count Rostoff and the other members of the Metropol hotel (except the Bishop- hated him) were a family I loved getting to know and love. As I listened to the 17 hour book, I was magically transported to Count Rostoff's Russia and saw it through his eyes, as the years pass, the politics, the hotel guests, and special characters Nina, Anna, and Sofia as well as others important in his life Emile, Marina, Mishka (childhood friend), Audrius, Osip, are all generous, and important human connections for the Count over the 40 years he resides under house arrest. Such a sumptuous novel written with attention to detail, dialogue, and a circumscribed world- Towles has written a very special novel that speaks volumes about a gentleman who is a wine and food expert and an optimistic intellectual; a must read! And great to listen as well!

View all my reviews

No comments: