Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman

StarfishStarfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is just one example why I love the 2018 HUB Reading Challenge Challenge!!! This book is a Morris Award winner and one I might have missed but I loved it so much, I might have to read it again or listen to it- this is definitely a favorite. I read so many books and I am crushed by the horrors of violence, abuse, negativity, mean girls...but this debut author really knows how to write about the dysfunction that is Kiko's life (and teens will definitely relate) from an abusive mom, to a father who has a new family that has replaced Kiko's to remote brothers Kiko doesn't know how to talk to---this created the stifling isolation and socially awkwardness that is Kiko's life. Bowman's writing takes the reader into Kiko's head and heart and shows repeatedly how she is stunted by fear but Bowman also gives Kiko hope that she pins on her best friend, getting into art school, and then re-finding her childhood friend. I loved how her best friend tells her to grow lady balls in a note as she goes of to early admittance to college. This begins Kiko's challenging, growing self-awareness that she needs to depend on herself to change and grow... and by going out to California with Jamie to visit art schools, meeting famous painter who becomes her mentor, trying constantly to be STRONG, that the real Kiko begins to emerge. Some people have said that Jamie is too perfect but I think Bowman nailed it when she crafted him- when Kiko and Jamie were growing up (back then life was GOOD) they got each other, were best friends, and totally enjoyed each other. Now fast forward to running into him at a party---he is still the Jamie she knew and loved - but she is fractured and not the friend he remembered but like Adam rescues Julian in A List of Cages by Robin Roe, so Jamie rescues Kiko, but Kiko will complete the journey with her lady balls, while Jamie, always understanding her, will wait and understand. I loved this book so much!!!

View all my reviews

No comments: