Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely FineEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Debut author hits a homerun with her disturbing, humorous, delightful book flawlessly narrated by Cathleen McCarron. I was alternately embarrassed for and by Eleanor, I disliked her but wished her well---OMG, as the book unfolds Eleanor is a solitary soul who has opinions on everything, no friends, long time worker at a PR firm. It is when she sees a rock star and begins to imagine meeting him, falling in love, etc that Eleanor begins to make some changes (big, big, big) to her life and her appearance. It is her childhood and her weekly chats with Mummy that are particularly difficult to read but all the while tech assistant, Raymond, proves his worth as her first and ONLY friend. I loved Raymond, his mother, and the old guy both Raymond and Eleanor saved as he fell to the ground unconscious. It was so gratifying to see Eleanor's re-birth as a human being with feelings, insight and compassion. I could not stop laughing at her judgments, criticisms, and bizarre beliefs. I can't wait to see this as a movie----I will be excitedly looking forward to her next book---I would love even another Eleanor book, too!

View all my reviews

No comments: