Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina

Merci Suárez Changes GearsMerci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this totally awesome middle grade book for the #yearofya twitter chat being held 10/9 at 8PM EST. Meg Medina takes plucky 11 year old Merci Suarez and her close-knit family and treats the reader to the highs and lows of middle school (friends, sports & school clubs) through Merci's eyes (she and her brother are scholarship students at a private school and the dynamics of a close-knit family (3 families live side by side in little houses called Las Casitas). As Merci dreams of a new bike, trying out for the soccer team and joining the family painting business---troubling things are happening with her revered grandfather, Lolo, but no one in the family will answer her constant questions. I loved Merci, I loved her family, and rooted for her in school fraught with mean girls. This is a must read and Meg Medina's plot and her notes from the author about Alzheimer's disease broke my heart. I especially loved her quote in the Acknowledgments section, "Books happen in my life as the result of the time, talent and love of so many people."

View all my reviews

No comments: