Friday, February 11, 2011

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What a totally fabulous book! I loved the characters, the story, and the beauty of Addis Abba, Ethiopia was simple and timeless. I will admit I wanted to see more of Sister Mary Joseph Praise but the family dynamics of the twins, Marion and Shiva, with Hema and Gosh as the doting parents with the extended family of Missing Hospital was great reading. Even though this book was over 650 pages, I didn't want it to end. I loved the working relationship of Sister Mary Joseph Praise and Thomas Stone. I found Marion's love for Genet all consuming and profound. I wondered if Shiva might be a little Aspergers.....and I almost wanted the twins to stay little...Addis Abba and its military tumult was a very sad and difficult time when Marion realized his parents couldn't fix the wrongs (the clubbing of the old women by the imperial guards, Gosh's imprisonment)and Shiva's betrayal with Genet. Marion's voice, his medical beliefs, his stories, were all mesmerizing because I think he talks about a certain kind of doctor; maybe one that doesn't exist anymore? I don't know, but I loved his doctors and their pledge to healing the human race with the vpw "I swear by Apollo and Asclepius and Hygeia and Pannaceia to be true to her, for she is the source of all...I shall not cut for stone." Abraham Verghese's book is going to be one of my favorite adult reads.....Highly, highly recommended!



View all my reviews

No comments: