Thursday, February 10, 2011

Haiti On My Mind; Stories By Haitian American Teens

Haiti On My MindHaiti On My Mind by Dana K. Vincent

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow, for such a skinny book of stories, Haiti On My Mind, was compelling heavy reading. I was captivated by the Haitian teens writing for Teen Communication telling their stories of hope and fear, joy and despair. With a moving foreword by Edwidge Danticat, Haiti's history, traditions and heritage is chronicled by teens who now live in the United States. The message is clear; since the 2010 earthquake, Haiti will need our understanding in order to rise above the chaos that decimated much of their country. The essays speak about the refugee experience and also about the many challenges of teen life. Teens reading this book will learn about prejudice, triumphs, failures and alienation, but they will also see the proud resilience of the Haitian American immigrant.



View all my reviews

No comments: