Friday, March 27, 2015

This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki

This One SummerThis One Summer by Mariko Tamaki
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book as part of The 2015 Hub Challenge but I have had it on my TBR because it received so many kudos! This graphic novel covers one summer and two friends at the shore. We fleetingly meet arguing family members, teens with problems, and friends who are beginning to have differences of opinions. I loved the illustrations, I kept going back and looking over the panels; Jillian Tamaki's illustrations are gorgeous, real, and bold. The bluish cover becomes rich black and white illustrations within the book. The main characters, Rose and Windy celebrate what they love about Awago Beach (turkey jerkey, amazing breezes, and bike rides) and we see Rose is beginning to outgrow building forts and become more interested in what is going on with the teens in the store. The spare words and amazing graphics make this a graphic novel many will enjoy!

View all my reviews

No comments: