Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Pointe by Brandy Colbert

PointePointe by Brandy Colbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had this book on my TBR for quite awhile and I am so glad I pushed it to the top of my READS because I really had no idea what this book was about. I THOUGHT it was about an African American girl who wants to be a ballerina. And oh was that a very small part of this engrossing book! Theo was 13 years old when her best friend, Donovan, was kidnapped and she was heavily involved in a romantic relationship. Now 4 years later, her oldest friend has returned home but the life Theo has worked so hard to return to normal- is once again thrown into tumult. I rooted for Theo (she smokes cigarettes and doesn't eat and pinches herself to stop eating), she was totally committed to ballet; it is the most important thing that matters to her - being tapped for a prized summer internship is just the beginning. Donovan may be home but he is not talking to anyone and what's more- Theo has secrets and she needs to talk to mute Donovan to get some answers. What will truth do to her carefully constructed world and will she be able to live with the memories? Wow, a great read all around covering many, many essential topics in dealt with in YA literature. Highly recommended! BTW I also finished Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway and that also deals with kidnapping - also a great great read!!!

View all my reviews

No comments: