Monday, June 20, 2016

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

I'll Meet You ThereI'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG, could not put this book down; on my TBR & I decided to read it as part of June #YearofYA twitter chat topic, Monday 6/27 at 8PM EST. Skylar and Josh Mitchell have a few things in common. They both live in dead-end Creek View and want to leave ASAP. They both have worked at the Paradise Motel for a few years. But that is where it ends... but the Paradise is the place where Skylar, just graduated and looking forward to going to art college in San Francisco in 3 months & Josh, a Marine, home from the war and wracked by nightmares, anger, insecurity - work side by side. They discuss, kid around and ultimately begin to become really good friends depending on each other when life collapses around them. I LOVED THESE 2 TEENS! Skylar does not drink, does not really go out much and has few friends (and she likes it that way) Josh is good looking, blue eyes that melt, and a great maintenance worker who can do just about anything to repair things at the Paradise Motel (and it seems be there for Skylar when her mom loses her job). I learned so much about PTSD from author Heather Demetrios with her depictions of Josh's dreams and leg problems since he walked on an IED device in Afghanistan. But even better and VERY IMPORTANT to read were the author's notes and acknowledgments at the end of the book. She had family in wars and she did extensive research and interviews with Marines to realistically depict Josh as a wounded warrior. I will end this review with words from the author but this is a must read for teens and adults...very important... From Heather Demetrios at the end of her acknowledgments, "Finally to the Josh's out there: I wish you sleep without nightmares, laughter every day, cold beer on warm summer nights, and love -so much love.


View all my reviews

No comments: