Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Arrowood by Laura McHugh

ArrowoodArrowood by Laura McHugh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group – Random House and Spiegel & Grau for the ARC, Arrowood by Laura McHugh. I was so unsettled as I read this dark mystery of missing twins. Since mystery is my favorite genre, I was excited once again to read another Laura McHugh book since I enjoyed The Weight of Blood so much. Arden Arrowood is 8 years old and playing with her beloved 2 year-old twin sisters when they are snatched from their yard. Fast forward to Arden as a 25 year-old adult who has never gotten over their disappearance, has inherited Arrowood now that her father has died and has returned to Iowa. Even though I could not put this book down (I wanted to know what happened!!!), I did not really like or feel empathy for Arden as the main character who suffers silently and lives in isolation. I know she is like this due to the devastating loss of her sisters but she has no depth, never sees a therapist, does not finish her thesis, and upon arriving at Arrowood, she sleeps all the time, walks around in her pajamas and it is only other characters (who are not fully fleshed either) getting her out and doing things. I rooted for Arden to become a strong character, find closure, and begin to live her life, will she find answers? For those who enjoy psychological thrillers, this book will be available September 2016.

View all my reviews

No comments: