Saturday, October 8, 2016

Posted in #yearofya (http://bit.ly/yearofya


Loving YA Series Fiction

 

BJ Neary (9/27/16)

Retired HS Librarian – Abington Senior High, Abington, PA



 

I am so happy that my book-loving librarian friends, Mollee and Tavia, founders of #yearofya, the virtual Twitter book chat that I so look forward to and participate in monthly, asked me to be a guest blogger!  As I began to think about what I most ENJOY RIGHT NOW in YA literature and looked at my Goodreads bookshelves, I realized I have been totally hooked on YA SERIES fiction for years now and wanted to share (1) my CURRENT favorites, (2) series books not to be missed, (3) amazing audiobook series and (4) NEW series I am SO looking forward to jumping into (I want your recommendations too!)

 

What I relish in any series is that they can be any genre; authors build believable and fantastical worlds and craft strong, authentic characters that readers can relate to and cannot wait to explore and enjoy in more than one book. To satisfy my cravings for the next sizzling series sequel, I preorder the next book in the series either for my Kindle, order hard copy from Amazon or for my listening pleasure on Audible.  Afterward, I excitedly look forward to discussing the sequels and series with my friends.  Since I curate Young Adult Novels on Scoop.it, I cannot wait to read reviews from bloggers and other publications like SLJ and Booklist for their recommendations concerning these new releases.

 

How do I keep track of all the series?  I use Goodreads and I just love free FictFact because there are several ways to find your favorite series: Browse by Series, Browse by Author, Popular Series Overall, Most Popular by Genre, Book Release Calendar (love this) and Search…could not be any easier!

 

(1)  MY CURRENT faves (linked to my reviews on Goodreads)

 

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas                An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

And I Darken by Kiersten White                     The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Andieh

The Raven King by Maggie Steifvater           Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski          The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer       The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey

 

(2)  Series not to be missed - (my oldies but goodies)

 

Over the years, my students and I enjoyed discussing and sharing series.  Therefore, I am providing even more series (Animoto video) since I was a high school librarian for ten years. Retired for 4 years, I still ravenously read YA series and am always anxiously waiting for the next new title!  When I was a high school librarian, I did not get around to reading as many series as I would have liked, since librarians are also performing multifaceted jobs (you know what I mean.)  By the time I was able to read series such as, Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi and Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, the whole series was finished!  I just gobbled all three books in the trilogy (one over Christmas break and the other over summer), loved them, of course, and it was heaven!

 

 

 

 

(3)  Amazing audiobooks series

 

A Court of Thorns and Roses Series
Sarah J. Maas
The Selection Series
Kiera Cass
Daughter of Smoke & Bone Series
Laini Taylor
Half Bad Series
Sally Green

 

(4)  New Series I Want to READ - you can’t read every single series that comes out, but this Animoto video shows a few I WANT to read but have not gotten to yet.  But, oh how I do want to jump into them!

 

Nerd Alert! I just received Crooked Kingdom, Six of Crows, Book 2 by Leigh Bardugo on my Kindle, so I will begin reading this heist thriller immediately!

 

Additional Series Books Links







No comments: