Friday, January 6, 2017

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Tell The Wolves I'm HomeTell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Taking place in the 80s where AIDS has hit, June is a child of fourteen, who now knows her dear godfather, Uncle Finn, is dying of AIDS. As she spends Sundays at Finn's (with her mom & Greta) while a portrait of June & her sister, Greta is painted by Finn she begins to hear some disturbing bits of information. While her questions go unanswered, her uncle dies, and life without Finn is unbearable. I could not put this tear jerker down; I loved the characterization; author Brunt floored me with the ugliness of Greta, June's mom and society in general while I relished June, Finn & Toby. There were so many what-ifs you ask yourself while reading; I was crushed each and every page for June and how she struggled with shyness, finding out she did not know everything about her Uncle, being bullied by her sister and further alienated by a mother who wanted her brother Finn to suffer for the choices he made. Well, she made everyone suffer, most especially Toby, Finn's love (who June had no idea existed before his funeral) and this just brought further guilt and anguish and questions to June. This is a searing must read on so many levels!

View all my reviews

No comments: