Sunday, January 15, 2017

You're Welcome, Universe by Whitney Gardner

You're Welcome, UniverseYou're Welcome, Universe by Whitney Gardner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Children’s and Knopf Books for Young Readers for the ARC, You’re Welcome, Universe by Whitney Gardner. Julia is an awesome protagonist; she is righteous concerning her art style- graffiti, and her friends. When her best friend is targeted; Julia takes action:
"No one gets to call my best friend a slut, especially not up on a wall, not on my turf. She asked for help, and I took matters into my own paint-stained hands. I designed a killer piece, cut out the stencil, shook up the cans, and got to work. I'm getting away with it. I'm about to get up. On my way to becoming an all-city queen of art. I rip down the last stencil, take a step back, and admire my work. Its killer. You're welcome, Universe."
The first page does an awesome job of plunging the reader to Julia's world. She is deaf, has 2 deaf moms, a double crossing "best" friend, is kicked out of her School for the Deaf, and now attends a new school (with an interpreter, no less) all the while working at McDonalds. Where does she go from there? Well, this book rocks every page with Julia's gritty drama and her responses, actions, wit, and her love of art and illegal graffiti (legal murals) will mesmerize teens. The rocky road of high school and friendship is explored on a whole new level through authentic characters Julia, her moms, YP, Jordyn, her interpreter and art teacher. I heartily recommend this book; it is a winner, through and through.


View all my reviews

No comments: