Sunday, March 19, 2017

What Girls Are Made Of by Elana K. Arnold

What Girls Are Made OfWhat Girls Are Made Of by Elana K. Arnold
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and Lerner Group and Carolrhoda Lab for the ARC, What Girls Are Made Of by Elana K Arnold. I wish I could have enjoyed this book – not only did I dislike Nina, but her mother was totally responsible for messing her up in so many unbelievable, vilke ways and the chapters dealing with women, saints, and torture were in the book, why??? Gut wrenching, this story was without redemption, which is an important element in many, many novels. Nina’s only saving grace was the time she served for community service at a no-kill shelter and the fact that she continued after she fulfilled her time. Seth and her “best friend” Louise were self serving characters and one dimensional. Even after reading The Author Note I agreed with the author about not liking Nina and her choices. I did not like how the plot and characters delivered the very important message, “What are you made of?” Maybe girls will like reading Nina’s story and take something positive away from it, I was just sorry I could not love this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: