Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a 5 star book for me until the last 2 1/2 pages. The book was beautiful in its world building (Lazlo's time with the monks, Weep in Lazlo's mind and the real Weep), characters (Hated Minya, loved Lazlo and Sarai and so many more) and the magic, fantasy, gods, and ghosts. Now back to my 3 star rating...this book was tantalizing (some in a good way but also some in a bad way) and since Lazlo's life was tough but as a dreamer he always searched for the good in everything...hence the ending completely undid me and since the story was steeped in the darkness of the Godslayer and the daily world of the blue gods and goddesses and Lazlo's early life, there were quite a few ways to make the ending more redemptive than it was. Especially when you wait for another book in the series, it is nice to have a cliff hanger with a positive spin. The characters and the readers did not deserve this ending, I know it says "to be continued" but I will be waiting in dread and it would have been nice to tweek the ending just a little to have me waiting with a smile on my face. Those of you who know me as a reader and reviewer, I rate most books 4 & 5 so when I have to give a book a 3, it really hurts me, just like this ending did. I hope Laini Taylor can give a better ending to Book 2 and 3 if there will be more in this series. Again I loved the story, the characters, just would have liked a better ending (it could have been easily written that way, for Lazlo, Sarai and the reader).

View all my reviews

No comments: