Thursday, April 20, 2017

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

When the Moon Was OursWhen the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book s part of The 2017 Hub Reading Challenge receiving The Stonewall & Rainbow Awards. This book was lush, full of confusion, lies, secrets and the drama of families. I loved Miel, the girl who fell out of the water tower after her mother tried to cure her of the roses growing out of her wrists. Even more, I loved the story of Samir, the boy (the only person) who helps her throughout her life; is her best friend and her love. But life is not easy for these 2 as the author weaves mysticism, Pakistani and Latina beliefs, fairytales integral with their daily lives. Also Sam has protecting his mom and also hiding a big secret Sam (born Samira) protecting his mom in the practice of bacha posh - binding his breasts, wearing large pants, not taking gym, and deepening his voice. None of this matters to Miel, best friend in love with Sam. As the Bonner sisters (EVIL, EVIL, EVIL) bully their way into Miel's secrets, her fears, her love for Sam I was truly afraid. I rooted for Sam and his mom, Sam and Miel and lastly Miel and her sister. The character development was epic but I did have a heard time following some of the aspects of the character's lives but I could not put the book down, I just could not stop reading about Miel and Sam! I loved the moons, the pumpkins, the roses- and the many other symbols that pulsed with questions was just fantastic.

View all my reviews

No comments: