Friday, August 18, 2017

Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

Bad RomanceBad Romance by Heather Demetrios
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This latest book by one of my favorite authors is gripping & concerns abusive relationships. Demetrios had an abusive relationship as a teen and she brings her voice achingly to the tale of Grace and Gavin. I really liked the way the story was presented- Grace begins by telling Gavin (and the reader) how long it takes her to start falling out of love with Gavin. Grace hates her life (Mom and The Giant are sadistic and horrible excuses for parents), crushes on guys, has 2 best friends who love her desperately, and wants to be a director (hence her life of school plays) & go to NYU. She is ripe for Gavin's notice, he is always the lead in the plays and plays guitar in his band. As they fall hard for each other, Grace can't believe he would like her, but she also has a strong constitution since she knows how to play the game with her parent's bs. But this also works against her too. As she falls in love with him, she does not see him as being manipulative, jealous, trying to isolate her. I rooted for Grace but I understood how she became enthralled by him, then loved him, and then could not escape his games. But I kept remembering when she called herself "an ass-kicking ninja warrior queen" & I knew she might hit bottom again and again but she (with the help of her friends and support of her sister) would drag herself up like the phoenix and rise again. I especially like The Author's Note with Heather's personal experience, stats on abuse, rape & sexual assault & places that can help. Girls will be passing this around & draw strength from Grace, her friends, and Heather Demetrios.

View all my reviews

No comments: