Friday, April 27, 2018

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

Emergency ContactEmergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Totally awesome book! I would love to see this as a duology, there is so much more I want to know about Penny and Sam's journey and romance!!! Debut author, Mary H.K. Choi uses texts between 2 awkward characters as a way of forging a friendship. Penny is new to college and has a roommate who is rich, kind, has an annoying best friend who is selfish, and also an uncle, Sam, who works in a coffee house on campus. Penny and Sam have different kinds of issues, but they both seem to be in sync - for example, the first time they meet - they are both wearing the same shoes and black outfits!!! The college setting is great because the reader sees Penny in school, while Sam is struggling to stay in college. There are so many issues that were really effectively dealt with such as mothers and daughters, sexual assault, friendship, race, families, and finally the emergence of love. I loved this book so much but I still want to know more about their journey. The ending was awesome (so many YA books are downers and that makes me so sad, for teens - they deserve to see happy endings are possible) and hopeful, yay for Sam and Penny! A must-read, enjoyable and one teens will be discussing (especially with the social media, texting aspect). A favorite for me!!!

View all my reviews

No comments: