Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Bruja Born by Zoraida Cordova

Bruja Born (Brooklyn Brujas, #2)Bruja Born by Zoraida Córdova
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this awesome 2nd book in the Brooklyn Brujas series for my empowering female twitter chat with #yearofya to be held on 9/6 at 8PM EST, please join us as we talk titles that feature females in the lead, girls supporting each other or overcoming the many challenges young women face and oh was this book perfect as sisters Lula, Alex and Rose struggle mightily. Lula uses her magic to bring back her boyfriend, Maks, after a bus crash that kills everyone but her. But is that really what happens? As Lula finds Maks and keeps him close, other more sinister things are afoot- why does Lady de la Muerte say Lula has upset the balance? Why does her heart hurt and the magic her family used to heal her not seem to be working? Why does Maks break up with her before the crash telling her "You're not the same person I fell in love with. It's like your fire is gone." Bruja Born was even better than Labyrinth Lost, the female power was strong, wicked, and to know them is to love them.
I loved the relationship between Lula and her sisters as brujas, they fight, they shout, they stick together. Readers will love the addition of the Thorne Hill Alliance and The Knights of Lavant; Nova is back, Lula's Dad has more time but there is still uncertainty about him, and Rose really will surprise everyone! I could not stop turning the pages of this urban fantasy; so looking forward to the 3rd book in this spectacular series (reminds me so much of another series I love-Daniel Jose Older's ShadowShaper series!!!)

View all my reviews

No comments: