Thursday, March 21, 2019

Home After Dark by David Small

Home After DarkHome After Dark by David Small
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this Alex Award winner as part of the 2019 HUB Reading Challenge and since David Small is one of my favorite authors I totally loved this graphic novel including issues of divorce, abuse, bullying, abandonment and adolescence as teen Russell struggles to adapt when his parents divorce and his father takes him across the US, then stops coming home one day. In addition- Russell has a tough time with friends- early friend, Warren pays Russell to lay with him effectively making sure he stays away from Warren. He becomes friends with bullies, Kurt and Chris, and his life continues to plummet. I ached for Russell---Small's illustrations are masterful, chaotic and sorrowful. A must read!

View all my reviews

No comments: