Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

The Nickel BoysThe Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh did I love this book, but so so difficult to read! Elwood was such a special kind of boy, raised by his strict, loving grandmother after his parents abandoned him as a young child. History in Elwood's Tallahassee is most definitely separate and not equal. We see early on how much everyone likes Elwood, but there is a sinister air hanging about this boy and as he works, goes to school and diligently follows MLK's thoughts, words and actions, looking forward to going to college classes...and that is where his story drops the reader into a world of hell known as juvenile reformatory called The Nickel Academy when he unknowingly accepts a ride in a stolen car. This school thrives on beatings, terror and killing...both white and black boys. Even Elwood's friendship with hard core Turner can't change his true self. I ached as I read each page and grew more and more fearful...and what an ending! I will be thinking about this book and recommending it to my friends for a long, long time.

View all my reviews

No comments: