Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green

Turtles All the Way DownTurtles All the Way Down by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, this was an awesome book to listen to, Kate Rudd nailed Aza's obsessive compulsive mental illness-BUT it was tough to listen to (I ached for Aza) but a book teens need to read and will resonate with as mental illness, friendship, loss, families, are all explored and not easily resolved. Green is such a great writer and the fact that he himself suffers from OCD, it brought immediacy and urgency to Aza's story. She is naturally weird, so her obsessions don't help, making her shy and aloof. She has a very capable therapist, but Aza won't take her medicine as prescribed, doesn't always tell the whole truth and as she devolves--- fights the part of her illness that is obsessed with germs and microbes, breaking open a scab on her hand and compulsively cleaning and re-bandaging it- I asked myself, is it because she is a teen and doesn't know any better that she drinks hand sanitizer, and shirks the healing effects of taking her medicine? This book was a journey - Aza's friendship with Daisy and her romance with Davis saddened me; I wished a happy outcome and life for Aza, but I guess we need another book about an older Aza, don't we?

View all my reviews

No comments: