Sunday, May 6, 2018

Dread Nation (Dread Nation #1) by Justina Ireland

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, this audiobook was amazing!!! My fave narrator, Bahni Turpin (she was also awesome with Underground Railroad and The Sun Is Also a Star) was spectacular as Jane McKeene, a totally kick-ass heroine, who lies a lot, is fearsome, will take a dare anytime, anywhere and is thoroughly at ease wielding scythes to put down the "shamblers" the dead who are now infected, have risen up and are roaming the country, swelling in numbers and becoming an overwhelming threat. Negro Jane attends a school in the post Civil War era that trains/arms (and educates) negroes and Native Americans in fending off the shamblers. As Jane prepares to graduate, her old boyfriend, Jackson appears asking for Jane's help to find his little sister and the white family she is living with who have disappeared. This book is an adventure, a horror story, history re-imagined with zombies, with Jane fighting for truth, freedom, becoming friends, being a leader, and always a target by the survivalists who subscribe to hate, lies, violence, and torture. Using her daring do, her very capable mind that is keen on weaponry and the art of battle, Jane strives to escape Summerland with her friends and stop the shamblers. I could not stop listening to this rip-roaring tale which made me laugh, made me cringe, and made me sick with the evil and horrors that lurked (but also lived in plain sight) and I rooted for Jane and her loyal band to succeed; I can't wait for the 2nd in this duology! A must read.

View all my reviews

No comments: