Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride

The Heaven & Earth Grocery StoreThe Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this with my Albright College Zoom Book Club. Narrated by Dominic Hoffman, this historical fiction has everything; racism, social class distinctions, family, friendship, sorrow, humor, and hope. But it is the way McBride tells this story of Jews & Blacks living in the Chicken Hill area of Pottstown, PA in the 1920s. I went to Albright College in Reading so I loved reading landmarks, cities, & hospitals in this compulsively readable book. I could not stop listening! The characters Chona, Dodo, Nate & his wife, Bernice, and Monkey Pants were my favorites but all characters were authentic. I rooted for the many subplots & McBride did not disappoint! This is a stellar must read; I highly recommend it!

View all my reviews

No comments: