Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick

MidwinterbloodMidwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this stunner of a book for the 2014 Hub Challenge and I wanted to know more about this Island of Blessed as Eric Seven visits to write a story about the island's secrets and beauty and seeming simplicity. As Eric meets the friendly island people, he falls in love with Merle who has always lived on Blessed. As days pass, Eric sleeps deeply, rides a bike, drinks tea, swims and tries to remember what he is supposed to be doing. Sedgwick uses short stories to flash back and forward as the story of Blessed is revealed. I especially enjoyed the storytelling that weaves Eric and Merle's love through the ages as they search for each other. Their names change during the time of the Vikings; and other characters after they die become wolves and vampires and always there is a dragon flower on the island with properties that can heal or hurt. The mystery and beauty of Sedgwick's writing kept me turning the pages.

View all my reviews

No comments: