Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

The Great AloneThe Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Julia Whelan's narration was just what this book needed- I was always sorry when I had to stop listening because Whelan's voices kept calling to me. To me, Leni was my favorite character who I rooted for constantly, even though she was brainwashed by her mother that no one know about their private torment---Ernt Allbright, Dad, Husband and POW who suffered from PTSD and took it out on his family. Luckily he was not that smart (because he liked to drink and therein the trouble brewed, festered and caused his hate mongering) many locals knew he was abusive and trouble- YET even when these wonderful friends offered help and protection time and time again, Leni and her mom turned them down because they loved him - that got old with me real quick. Alaska was supposed to be their forever home and at the beginning (so many families helped them prepare for the snow) Leni and her mom dared to hope. But as darkness descended, so did Ernt's nightmare's and agitation. For a beautiful history of Alaska, the dreams of Leni, and the hope that never dies, this book nails it. or the lovely, wonderful ending---I was so happy for the perfect closure. Highly recommended!!!

View all my reviews

No comments: