Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Educated by Tara Westover

EducatedEducated by Tara Westover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Julia Whelan's narration of this audiobook had me spellbound! Tara Westover's book was harrowing; this was definitely a story of a life harmed by parents. I ached for Tara throughout her life but I was also angry at her, too. As she ages, matures, Tara sees firsthand her family's dysfunction but she is unable/unwilling to take help when it is offered. Even after she leaves the mountain (time and time again) she is still its/their prisoner- she alienates roomates at BYU (and does not care), loses boyfriends because she can bear to share (and with boyfriends who see this behavior- rather than ask for help, she laughs maniacally, then shuns them for seeing what they should not). It was all pretty sick SH_T, I rooted for Tara as she left the mountain, and gained an education---but at what a cost! I am so proud of her but so sad (frustrated) it took her SO LONG to receive the mental health counseling she so obviously needed. She is a gifted reader, I will read anything she writes! Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: