Sunday, May 8, 2022

The Light Through the Leaves by Glendy Vanderah

The Light Through the LeavesThe Light Through the Leaves by Glendy Vanderah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG did I love this 2nd book by Glendy Vanderah, I listened to the audiobook, awesonely narrated by Susannah Jones. I love Vanderah's writing so much---flawed but strong female characters and how they find their way- in this book Ellis is a hassled mom who is so disturbed to see her husband kiss another woman that she unwittingly leaves behind her infant, Viola, in her car seat which was next to the car. Her sons realize and warn her Viola is not in the car. So begins the horror that is Ellis' life and as she spirals from the guilt, her inlaws come in and ruin an already faltering marriage with their judgment, and religious zealotry. Ellis escapes her family, leaves behind her boys and tries to come to terms with her life of hiking. Along the way she meets a nonjudgmental ranger, suffers an injury by 2 men who want to harm her, and she decides to effectively disappear. This was such a spine tingling mystery, I could not put it down, but Vanderah is masterful as she weaves a tough but good story of redemption, finding the meaning of love and family. Highly recommended and I loved the power of nature throughout her book- it was haunting, beautiful and cleansing.

View all my reviews

No comments: