Thursday, July 7, 2022

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart

Shuggie BainShuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this book, writer, etc...but the totally depressing topics, the Glasgow dialect made it difficult for me to gush about loving this book. I am now listening to Young Mungo, so we will see if the narration makes it easier to enjoy... Shuggie's life is so dismal- his mother drinks and she becomes abusive to her family and gets on the phone and crank calls people who have wronged her, goes thru men, is totally irresponsible and leaves her children hungry and disillusioned. As this continues, the older children plot to leave...and poor Shuggie is left to watch over his mother, hungry, cashing her child support checks and missing lots of school. I ached for Shuggie and all the difficulties he encounters, will he be able to escape this life?

View all my reviews

No comments: