Friday, April 7, 2023

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks

Caleb's CrossingCaleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just as I loved all of Geraldine Brooks' books, I never got to read this while being a high school/YA librarian and this novel of Bethia (her father is a minister to the Native American tribe of the Wampanoag) and Caleb, who meet and form a lifelong friendship that is secret until Caleb becomes a member of their family after his family dies. I was gripped by Bethia, her restricted life as a woman, pioneer and Puritan, her thirst for knowledge, and her special friendship with Caleb. So awful were the conditions and privations Caleb and other natives suffered (horrible assumptions, calling them savages & comparing them to animals). Thoroughly researched with authentic characters, the many settings were historically accurate with the beauty of the island and acrid smells of big cities. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: