Saturday, May 20, 2023

Sooley by John Grisham

SooleySooley by John Grisham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Many thanks to Dean Looney for this awesome read! I loved the character of Sooley, a teen from war-torn Sudan and the plot contains some Philadelphia mentions (Jay Wright, Villanova Basketball) and reading this 2021 book in which South Sudan is in a war ---and also now in 2023 South Africa is suffering from tribal wars. I have read/known as a high school librarian refugees like Sooley and it is so painful to read/see how these shell shocked "boys" experience war, murder of family members, isolation and a new world to become used to in the United States. Grisham had me turning the pages as I fell in love with his best friend (in North Carolina) as he becomes Sooley's friend, roommate, then manager. The reader will root for Sooley, he is a great main character! I loved all the basketball games, players and challenges Sooley faces.

View all my reviews

No comments: