Tuesday, May 21, 2019

I Am J by Cris Beam

I am JI am J by Cris Beam
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book for #yearofYA and the May topic of Crossovers---this book was recommended by Book Browse as an Adult/YA Crossover. J is a teen who has known for a long time she is not a girl but a boy. Now as a teen, J makes a concerted effort to show everyone who he truly is---and it is not easy at all. Many subjects are explored in this transgender book; taking testosterone, binding breasts, haircuts, deep voice, feeling alienated from family and friends. As J explores and obsesses over girls, girlfriends, he makes a choice to move out of his house, get into a shelter, see a therapist while exploring future options with his life. He was so brave yet so conflicted and it was through friends (old and new) accepting J that helps propel this book to a hopeful ending.

View all my reviews

No comments: