Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Royal City, Vol. 2: Sonic Youth by Jeff Lemire

Royal City, Vol. 2: Sonic YouthRoyal City, Vol. 2: Sonic Youth by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read the 2nd volume of Royal City as part of the Great Graphic Novels Awards in the 2019 HUB Reading Challenge and this book shows what life is like for the Pike family as it leads up to Tommy Pike's final days. The sad, dead-end part of the town has infiltrated this dysfunctional family - mother, father and the kids. I loved Lemire's detailed, authentic illustrations as a teen goes through life normally but then headaches start, pain pills are thrown down with alcohol and you see the picture. I ached for this family, the loneliness and alienation are pervasive and awful. Can't wait to read Vo. 3!

View all my reviews

No comments: