Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher

The Killing WoodsThe Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I relistened to this book on Audible with awesome dual narrations by Fiona Hardingham as Emily, Shaun Grindell as Damon. I found this 2nd time around gripping, haunting and relevant as the GAME becomes clearer and sicker. Teens will find this a great story packed with suspense and a lesson about the mistakes that can be made.
I received this ARC at ALA Philadelphia in January. I loved the mystery, drama and how the reader sees Damon's perspective and Emily's in the alternating chapters. I was totally surprised to learn about The Game(s)and was glad Emily and Damon both figure out (together) what happened to Ashlee. The PTSD that Emily's dad suffered from alienated her mom but Emily still believed and loved her dad. Damon was fighting his own demons with the loss of his dad and the final night he can't remember with Ashlee. I couldn't put this book down, it had the right amount of mystery to drag you in and keep on turning those pages. The only thing I think teens in the US will not enjoy is the dialect the author and her characters use; I found it foreign (and I understood all the words, phrases, etc.) and American teens will notice as well.

View all my reviews

No comments: