Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Legendborn (Legendborn, #1) by Tracy Deonn

Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this awesome debut as part of my 2nd #BitAboutBooks Winter Reading Challenge since it is a Book with a one word title and equals 10 points. There was so so so much to like about this book--the depth of the characters, the suspenseful plot, and the worldbuilding. Once I finished this thriller, I was so excited to see there is a 2nd book so a series it will be. I happen to LOVE series and this is one that I will be biting my nails about until the 2nd book comes out!!! Bree and her best friend, Alice have plans to attend her mother's alma mater in a special program (which her mother does not want). Her mother is angry with Bree's decision and then she dies in a hit and run. Bree and her father are devastated, grief makes her into angry Bree with walls she shuts off and only shares with the reader. Imagine her surprise when she sees magic being used which leads to the most awesome, suspenseful story combining magic, fantasy, elements of the Knights of the Round Table, Root Magic, Legendborns and Onceborns and all kinds of horrid creatures like attacking hellhounds. Bree's journey was deep; she was definitely traumatized by her mother's death, going to this school has her looking into her heritage while dealing with racism, bullies, and keeping too many secrets. I LOVED Bree; she is tough, doesn't back down, and runs fast forward into trouble or answers she desperately needs. As she navigates college life, pledging a secret society and growing ever closer to Nick, she also sees a therapist to deal with her grief. I loved this book's diversity, the different friendships, and LGBTQ relationships. I though everything was authentic, researched and spun in such a way that I wanted to learn so much more! Highly recommended, can't wait for the 2nd book!!!

View all my reviews

No comments: