Friday, February 5, 2021

Red, White, and Whole by Rajani LaRocca

Red, White, and WholeRed, White, and Whole by Rajani LaRocca
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read and loved this book as part of my 2nd #BitAboutBooks Winter Reading Challenge a book published in 2021 worth 15 points. Just as I loved her debut, Midsummer's Mayhem, I could not put down this affecting, touching novel in verse (which I totally loved) about Reha, a young Indian American girl who was born and raised in America but by Indian parents who migrated to the United States and married. Reha loves her life with her mother and father but feels so constrained by their expectations which are opposite what her daily American life is in school. This book deftly portrays the double world Reha lives in; I enjoyed learning about the Indian mythology especially Savitri, Amma's letter writing known as Aerogramme, and the Indian foods and culture. Especially noteworthy is Reha's friendship with her Indian friends on the weekends, and the support from the kids at school like Pete, Penelope, and Rachel when Amma is sick. This is a book that all must read--there is much to be learned about Reha's life that AA readers can and will identify with, learn from, and understand about family struggles such as illness, expectations, and differences. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: