Sunday, May 2, 2021

If I Tell You the Truth by Jasmin Kaur

If I Tell You the TruthIf I Tell You the Truth by Jasmin Kaur
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, I loved Kiran and Sahaara's voices as they relate their stories in prose, poetry and illustrations! The author, Jasmin Kaur weaves an all to real plot about being undocumented, sexual assault, fear, and deep seated anxiety. Kiran is Sahaara's mom, an undocumented immigrant. She never speaks of what happened to her daughter, but the reader knows Kiran was raped, thrown away by her mother who labels her a liar, and arrives in Canada to begin college. Staying with her aunt, Kiran reveals to her mother and aunt, she is pregnant. Her aunt will not help her and go against the Punjabi family rules and Kiran's awful mother does not believe her and blames her. Kiran wants to keep the baby and her mother orders her to get an abortion. Kiran wants something of her own, not to be judged as less than and with this in mind, Kiran confides in her friend, Joti, and Joti and her mother take her in where she lives in a real family (that she has never known) of strong, loving women and Sahaara has a best friend in Jeevan and a love of art as the best way to express herself. I ached as I read the lives of this mother and daughter; so many mysteries, secrets, and questions silenced. I could not put this deep examination of what it is to be a woman who does not matter in a man's world that includes lies. I loved being a part of Kiran and Sahaara's journeys and urge adults as well as young adults to read this story. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: