Thursday, May 27, 2021

Your Heart My Sky by Magarita Engle

Your Heart My SkyYour Heart My Sky by Margarita Engle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Once again, I am enthralled by a Magarita Engle novel in verse. This historical fiction book begins in Cuba in 1991 supposedly a special period in times of peace ---BUT the people in a small area are starving because Castro has done so much harm by aligning with Russia and being boycotted in trade by the U.S. for so many years. Based loosely on her family's struggles during this time, Engle weaves a harsh, true life of Liana and Amado who meet as a result of a "special" dog and form a friendship looking for food and then fall in love as they bring love to starvation, possibilities, and hope. The author notes are a must read and reminded me of another book about a horrid time in history, The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys---the Facist dictatorship of Franco in Spain 1957 where starvation and silence to the world was hidden by the people of Spain.

View all my reviews

No comments: