Thursday, May 13, 2021

The Shape of Thunder by Jasmine Warga

The Shape of ThunderThe Shape of Thunder by Jasmine Warga
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book (my last in the #BitAboutBooks Spring Reading Challenge) an MG Lit book on a spring related theme. I loved this 2nd book by Jasmine Warga---her words were beautiful, crushingly sad, brutal, and authentic. Two best friends are grieving after a school shooting claims family members. For Cora, her older sister, Mabel, and for Quinn, her older brother, Parker, and he was the shooter. What this gun violence does is crush both families, leaving lots of unanswered questions and these two main characters who are suffering and hurting. Cora blames Quinn since her brother did the shooting--even her father, grandmother and psychologist can not convince Cora that Quinn should not be blamed for her brother's actions. The crafting of this story was mesmerizing as Cora and Quinn narrate different chapters. I was especially affected by Quinn's letters to her brother as she alternately loves and hates him. The dynamics for Cora's family was supportive while Quinn's family doesn't want to call any attention to themselves---resulting in her parents awful fighting, her mom quitting her job, and abrupt shut downs whenever Quinn tries to ask questions. I loved the time travel aspect of the storyline and felt the majesty of the old oak tree and rooted for these two girls to make their way back to each other. A must read and I recommend reading the author note as well. Highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: