Thursday, August 19, 2021

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

Girl, Serpent, ThornGirl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Awesomely Narrated by Nikki Massoud; Soroya who is cursed and hidden away by her royal family. She leads a life of loneliness, walks in her garden and through the secret passageways, until one day she sees a young soldier from her solitary place atop the castle. This dashing soldier is not afraid of her poisonous touch and as they begin to talk and walk and explore; she becomes emboldened by her friendship and begins to try to find a way to wipe out her curse. Soroya wants to be part of her family and since she isn't she feels anger that she uses to search for the removal of the curse. I loved Soroya's quest; it was scary and so many times hopeless but I kept rooting for Soroya and as she learns about her heritage, her mother's part in the curse and her twin brother's aloofness---I kept listening and could not stop! I loved the many demons (and the author notes at the end were super helpful), the Persian influence (OMG the food was mouthwatering). Such a great retelling of so many myths!

View all my reviews

No comments: