Sunday, August 8, 2021

This Is My America by Kim Johnson

This Is My AmericaThis Is My America by Kim Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Many thanks to Jennifer LaGarde (@jennlagarde) for this recommendation from her Purposeful Prose Summer Reading Exploring Inequity in the US Criminal Justice System!!! OMG, everyone needs to read this debut author book, Kim Johnson has spent her life being involved in social justice and organizations, her Author's Note is especially relevant stressing this book is a work of fiction but also calling out racism, police brutality, wrongful incarceration, white supremacy and hate groups and the death penalty. She gives facts and figures too. But her story about Tracy Beaumont and her family's troubles was haunting; I could not put it down. Tracy is an awesome protagonist, her friends are supportive, and her family is tight---Tracy's letters to Innocence X (she writes them monthly for the 7 years her father is in prison) and with the troubles visited on them and how they are viewed in their community and society; this is a must read for all----highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: