Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Magical Imperfect by Chris Baron

The Magical ImperfectThe Magical Imperfect by Chris Baron
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

another awesome middle grade novel in verse by Chris Baron which touches on so many important themes and topics. Set in 1989 San Francisco the book begins with earthquake drills, they are the norm but no one ever takes them for granted. Etan is a boy who has lost his ability to speak since his mother went away (a mental institution) but he has the strong relationship with his jeweler grandfather, as well as community members who understand Etan. Delivering a package to a remote island home, he hears Malia singing and begins a friendship. Both Etan and Malia understand what it is like to be alone--- Etan because of his silence and Malia because of her skin condition that has cruel people referring to her as "The Creature" I loved their way with each other; I loved Malia's grandmother just like I loved Etan's grandfather but I was riveted by the parents and their treatment/relationship with their children. There was so much to learn about in this book--the immigrants to Angel Island, the exciting World Series, the debilitating aspects of eczema, Etan's grandfather's religion. Such a great story---I recommend all readers will love this book!

View all my reviews

No comments: