Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

The Heart's Invisible FuriesThe Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow did I learn SO SO much from this gripping historical fiction taking place in Ireland starring Cyril Avery (who is not a real Avery) who as a 3 day old infant is adopted by Maude and Charles Avery who never should have adopted him! John Boyne's characters are all memorable, some you love and others you detest. Cyril's life is wide open for all of us to see---he has a head on his shoulders, he is gay and in love with his best friend, Julian (since the age of 7 and Julian hasn't a clue) and he lives in homophobic Ireland from the 1940s to present day. Boyne's story is very memorable, I could not stop listening, the narrator was fabulous and his voices, whether male or female, were just so spot on. I laughed, I cried, and I wanted so much for Cyril, I rooted for his happiness and that he would meet his mom. The way Boyne structured conversations with the same things being said over and over again was such a great way to get a point across, emphasize nonsense and to tell this story of being gay in a backward country through so many lenses. A must read for all!

View all my reviews

No comments: