Friday, October 29, 2021

Vespertine (Vespertine, #1) by Margaret Rogerson

Vespertine (Vespertine, #1)Vespertine by Margaret Rogerson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Awesomely narrated by Caitlin Davies; I loved this enthralling fantasy with Artemesia of Naimes, a socially crippled nun in training who would rather keep to herself than interact with others. When she unwittingly unleashes a revenant (yes Artemesia can hear and talk to spirits) her life as she knew is thrown into chaos. I loved the history, the too powerful Church's involvement, both good and evil, the spirits, and the characters---too many to name, but the Revenant was my favorite and the voice Caitlin Davies used was perfect and I loved the comedy it lent to this fast-paced thriller. I also loved Artemesia's roommate, and the gargantuan possessed soldier (his friends and captain shield him from the people's fear and hysteria) and the characters that seemed good but were evil or vice versa. Rogerson adeptly used magic, saints, evil, secrets, mysteries, and Artemesia's bravery to craft a rich historical fantasy I could not put down & can't wait for the next book in the series. I will be listening to the next book as well- Caitlin Davies was awesome with her compelling voices. YA readers will LOVE this book, highly recommended!

View all my reviews

No comments: