Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Into the River Glorious (Gold Seer Trilogy #2)

Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh did I love this 2nd book in the Gold Seer Trilogy by Rae Carson, but it was not an easy read. The treatment of the Indians, Chinese, even Lee was awful, heinous, and tough. I hated Lee's Uncle Hiram and his treatment of Lee and his Hiram Gulch gold mine workers which he treated worse than animals. I loved the settlement of Glory by Lee, Jefferson, Tom, Jasper and the Major- the working together, their belief in one another and their unwavering support. Lee has no family, Jefferson is her only friend but as they make their way toward CA -what they endure together and how they help one another was/is so important and welcome compared to the harshness of the gold miners, the foremen, and many of the white men who hated the Indians (always blamed them first) and Chinese, denigrating them (murdering them too) whenever they can. I know Lee was a captive too and the psychological (and physical) abuse at her uncle's hand will follow her (because she blames herself for those who suffer bc of something she did) for the rest of her life. Already downloaded #3, caa't wait to start listening, oh do I love Erin Mallon- her tone, her voices are perfect for this story.

View all my reviews

No comments: